Useful Contacts – MPs and Local Government

Sometimes its a bit confusing as to who to contact about what, or where to find that information, so I thought I would jot down a few useful contacts (for me, as much as anyone else!) for anyone who needs to campaign about something. Contacting your MP.

MP’s are the Members of Parliament who are elected to represent their constituents interests and concerns in the House of Commons. They are involved in considering and proposing new laws, and can use their position to ask Government Ministers questions about current issues. They split their time between their constituency and working in Parliament itself. They usually only act on behalf of people in their own constituency, so check who is YOUR local MP before contacting anyone.

This page on the official website gives full details for telephoning, writing and emailing your local MP. You can also enter your postcode or constituency to find out who your local MP is, and their contact details.

Government Ministers

Government Ministers are those who hold a government post – this includes the Prime Minister, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Secretary of State for Education, Minister of State, and so on.

This page on the official website lists the current Government Ministers, clicking on a name will take you to their full contact details.

Members of the House of Lords

These are the people that help to make and shape laws, and hold the government to account. They are independent from, and complement the work of, the elected House of Commons.The House of Lords members are not elected, and so they don’t have the same responsibility to the people as MPs. Also, they don’t work geographically, according to constituent areas. This makes it more complicated in knowing who to contact. My advice on this would be to find a lord who matches your interests/cause. For example, if you look on the page of Lord Anderson of Swansea (chosen at random!), you will see he focuses on international affairs, so if you have a campaign on immigration or asylum, he is a good choice to contact. It doesn’t mention animal rights, so I wouldnt contact him on that – not to say he doesn’t support animal rights (I have no idea to be honest!), just that I would base your contact on whats on the bottom of each page.

There is a guide to contacting Lords on the official website, and as well as full contact details there is a guide on how to address the lord you are contacting as many have different titles.

Local Councillors

Local Councillors are the people who are elected by the local community to represent its views. These are the people you vote for, in your own towns. They have regular meetings or ‘surgeries’ usually held in the constituency they represent, where they will meet and talk with the local community on the issues at hand. They only represent the people in their elected area, so you are always best to contact your own local councillor in the first instance. If its something which affects a wider area, you can of course contact more councillors with your concerns/campaigns.

Your first step is to visit your own local council website. If you are not sure who your local council/authority is, visit this page and enter your postcode/town, and it will bring you to a link for your council website. Once on your council website, the link to the Local Councillors  should be easy to find, and there you will find contact details and the area they represent.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s